Thursday, November 26, 2009

Winter Wonderland


Hey, all!!  It's that time again for Tablescape Thursday with our gracious hostess, Susan, at Between Naps on the Porch.  Thanks so much for stopping by.  I'd love to hear from you so please leave me a comment and follow the adventures of Budget Elegance! 

So, where were we?  Oh, yeah.  In my last post I shared with you that I had been bitten by the Christmas bug (actually, visions of sugar-plums have been dancing in my head for a while now).  Since I jumped the gun so early with my first Christmas tablescape, I decided to just keep the holiday spirit going.  Check out my "Winter Wonderland" inspired tablescape.

I have to admit, I really wasn't a big fan of silver until I put this tablescape together.  I challenged myself to work outside of my comfort zone.  Glad I did!!


Let's work our way from the bottom up, shall we?  Well you know by now how I like to use things in ways other than their intended purpose.  No different this time.  The "tablecloth" here is faux fur throws; yes, throws (you know those cloth thingies you "throw" over your lap and legs when it's chilly outside).  Yes, those.  I used two of them here.



To cover the "seam" where the two throws met I used a silver table runner with clear beading detail on it.



I then scattered "diamonds" around to represent ice.  Can't have a winter wonderland without ice.



I then set out on the hunt for silver charger plates.  I found these at Big Lots for 75 cents each (yeah, I know!); just three quarters (thank you very much)!  The plates were from TJMaxx from a time long ago by Mikasa.



The silver cups holding the flowers remind me of mint julep cups.  They're actually cups for the bathroom used to hold toothbrushes and toothpaste!!  They were on clearance for $3 each!



Now hold on; I feel I owe you an explanation about the flowers.
I had every intention on buying REAL white roses for this tablescape and only used the fake ones for staging purposes; you know, just to see how the table would look all pulled together.  I was so pleased with how things were coming along that I grabbed the camera out of excitement and starting taking photos; forgot all about the real flowers!  So there you have it; I promise to do better next time, promise.

And the crackled, mirrored ornaments fit right in on this tablescape.  They added shimmer and shine, not to mention how they reflected the sunlight like crazy!



Some pictures don't need a description as they speak for themselves.  Listen. . . with your eyes. . .









Even the flatware got into the act by capturing a shimmering reflection on their handles.


Silver, white and frosted trees in various sizes were added to evoke the feel of a miniature forest blanketed with newly fallen snow.







Ornaments in silver, white and frost were scattered along the tablerunner to add interest and more texture.



The centerpiece is comprised of one of my favorite urns filled with ornaments and framed with clear iridescent berry branches.




You like?










 
Well, that's it for now, kittens.  Hope you enjoyed my interpretation of a winter wonderland tablescape.  I really had fun with this one; can you tell?


Have a safe, happy and healthy holiday season!!!
Until next time -- AL

A special "thanks" to La-La (LaNelle) for all of her help.  By the way, I forgot to mention that La-La drew the lion picture that I use as my profile icon!!!  Thanks again, Sweetness; you rock!!
Love, Mom

25 comments:

  1. Al, this is so lovely! I am not usually a fan of silver, unless it's flatware or holloware, but I do believe you have converted me! Love your ornaments, the china, the "diamonds" (I have some of those, too), and all the touches that make this such a unique table. I think that was genius to use the bathroom cups like julep cups. They are a close match. The urn just makes the whole thing... love that piece! And the bottle brush trees... all. Great job!

    Happy Tablescape Thursday...

    XO,

    Sheila :-)

    I

    ReplyDelete
  2. So cool...all of the frosty white. Love the glimmer of the silver playing off the white dishes.
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this table, very elegant and frosty! So clever the using of the bathroom cups and you are forgiven for not using real flowers. Can't wait to see more of your tablescapes! I'm going to become a follower!

    Hugs,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Al, Love this tablescape... Love the silver bowl with the white christmas balls...So Pretty
    xoxo
    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is such an elegant table. I love it. Each picture shows it off to its best.
    Real flowers....fahgetabowdid. These looked great and will last and last.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very cool and elegant! Your photographs are stunning! Nicely done.

    Hope you and yours have a Happy Thanksgiving.
    Bill

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful all done in silver and crystal! I'm headed to Big Lots to look for the 75 cents chargers.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, your table is truly stunning! I love the silver and all the sparkly! You're a wonderful photographer too - I love how the sunlight is just peaking upon your centerpiece.
    Happy Thanksgiving.
    Be a sweetie,
    Shelia ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love it, love it, love it! The irridescent berry garland is perfect and bathroom accessories never looked better! Very pretty and creative! Have a happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Al...

    Ohhh my goodness...this is truly one of the most beautiful tablescapes that I've ever laid my eyes on!!! I have always been a fan of silver and white...nothing looks more elegant in my honest opinion! It's all just breathtaking!!! I love your place settings and that pretty glass ornament...gorgeous!!! Ohhh...but my favorite is your fabulous centerpiece!!! The silver urn filled with all of the beautiful glass ornaments is stunning and the pretty glass berries are the "icing on the cake", my friend!!! Outstanding!!! Your photos are so beautiful...they really do belong in a design publication!!! Thank you for sharing your Winter Wonderland with us...what a special treat!!!

    Warmest wishes and Have a Happy Thanksgiving, my friend!
    Chari @Happy To Design

    ReplyDelete
  11. every pic is more gorgeous as they all unfold!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Well I just love how you have such a way to make "budge" look so beautiful! I'm a fan!

    Can't wait to see what you do next!

    Hugs,
    Joanne

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Al..
    Very pretty tablescape. I loved the "frosty" look of it all. Your sunlit photos are excellent! Just beautiful! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Gorgeous! I love the silver and white.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Al,
    This is my first visit to your blog and I will certainly be back! I sbsolutely love the elegance of mercury glass, I picked up some beautiful mercury glass apothecary jars for a song at Kohl's last year and have been on the lookout for more ever since. True mercury glass was made by pouring mercury between two layers of glass but most of the imitation stuff is over one layer and not suitable for food. But it sure is gorgeous nevertheless. Hope you have a very happy turkey day.....

    ReplyDelete
  16. That is just so pretty and nicely done, hard to think the word budget when it looks just fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  17. What an absolutely gorgeous table. I love everything you did from the table up. Thanks for sharing.

    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  18. It doesn't matter whether it's silver or gold--everything you create looks fabulous. I love the little white trees and have purchased some this year not knowing what to do with them (you know how that goes) but you've given me some great ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Beautiful!
    I've always loved silver for Christmas time. You did a fabulous job!
    It all looks so festive and pretty! A perfect winter table!
    All the best,
    Eileen

    ReplyDelete
  20. Stunning! I love silver and crystal! It is one of my all time favorite combos. Beautiful settings!

    have a wonderful day!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Lovely blog! I'm not an active tablescaper...I just love to look at all of ya'lls work! Heh.
    I am a freelance photographer and do know a "good eye" when I see one, tho! Great shots!!

    Can't wait to see what you come up with next!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Just found this thru Between Naps on the Porch, which I also just found. Love the silver - I'm a big fan.

    I'm making myself over - out of the minimalist - and back to the 'stuff' that makes me happy. Now I just have to gather my things together, including out of the yard sale boxes, and start using.

    Thank you for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Just thought I would let you know.
    We are having a just because giveaway
    $50 gift certificate.
    No need to folllow or twiiter, or blog, just say what you think you might like and leave a comment.

    http://gafoodies.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete